keskiviikko 31. elokuuta 2011

Defeat

2nd time on my coaching career my crew falls short by a narrow margin on qualifying to Olympics. What can I say to my athlete who had a great race, best of the season by miles. He had the spirit, he fought to the line. I have to be happy to see his fight, but of course the outcome is what it is. In comparison to the other 23 rowers Tim rowed 4th best time. In other words, with his time Tim would have not only qualified to top 12, but won every other q-final. Yeah, this is sports, get over it, get a life...You could easily think, but olympics is the big dream, lifeline of our sport. Being out hurts. Plain and simple, luck was not on our side. My question is fairness. An idiot could see from the results that Tim belongs to top 12, and even with a bad race in B-final to top 11. Now he is out. Quarter final system may be good for finding top 3, but top 11 in these games matter more. Isn´t there any better system availabe?

Defeat is also a question for myself; was I good enough coach for my athletes? At the moment the answer to this question has 2 letters.

LM2x raced according to their current standard. Too slow 1st 500 made it easy for the other crews. Boys are young and need time and good training to push themselves up, learn to race and learnd to perform on a stable level. In our sport things don´t happen overnight. We need long training processes with excellent quality to succeed. I hope Obreno´s will get the support and are able to improve to next year and to 2016.

Now we are out. Dreams shattered. Now we have to digest the defeat and see what comes out.

Ei kommentteja: